Pages

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Some Thoughts on Dollar Coins


The US government is ending the dollar coin program because they have 1.4 billion of them all ready in storage. Matt Yglesias jokingly (at least I think it's a joke) says we should pick 1,400 random people and give each of them a million of them. I certainly would love to receive that many dollar coins as would many 5 year olds but I can't say the same for the rest of society. I would assume they would for the most part end up back at the Federal Reserve.


Instead I think we should do away with the dollar bill all together and force people to use the coins. If coins are indeed more cost effective to use then we should be pushing individuals to use them not simply giving them the option. 


While we're at it how about we do away with the penny and add a 50 cent piece and a $2 coin to reduce the amount of coinage out there. I can't find a GAO report on that but I would expect that reducing the amount of currency by increasing denominations would save money. 


And for those of you who will complain about having to carry around pockets full of coins I would like to point out that with implementing $1 $2 & 50¢ coins and the elimination of the penny (also if you use them efficiently) you should never have more than 6 coins in your pocket at any given time. Think about it.

3 comments:

  1. Too much math on a Wednesday.

    But I agree. Personally it would make our "fun fund" jar look a whole lot cooler. But it would definitely weigh down the collection plate at Our Lady of the Mystic River on Sundays for the old folks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I myself am pro collection basket on a pole. More efficient.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm always happy to hear about your obsession with getting the dollar coins into circulation. I'm certainly a supporter of using them more and doing away with dollar bills.

    ReplyDelete